- What This Flowchart Does
- Before Using This Flowchart
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: First Decisions
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Messaging Server
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Calendar Server 6.3
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Calendar Server 7 Update 1
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Instant Messaging
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Convergence
- Communications Suite Installation Flowchart: Indexing and Search Service
- Provides a decision tree for deploying Communications Suite products and the additional products that support Communications Suite.
- Directs you to specific sets of installation instructions based on your decisions.
This flowchart focuses on your logical deployment; that is, it emphasizes the software products and functional components that make up Communications Suite.
By functional component, we mean one piece of software that can be installed separately from other Communications Suite software on one host or one Solaris zone. A simple product like Delegated Administrator can be treated as one functional component. A complicated product like Messaging Server typically comprises several components: the message store, MTA, and so on.
This flowchart does not offer guidelines for designing your physical hardware configurations. It assumes you can map functional components to specific hosts or Solaris zones on which you will install the software. For each component, follow the linked installation instructions.
The installation instructions are meant as best practices. They are the recommended path for installing and configuring our products. You may choose to tweak these instructions because your deployment differs in some respects from the assumptions made here. Other paths may work for you. But these instructions, and in particular the sequence of tasks described here, are recommended.
For general installation information about Communications Suite 7 Update 1, see Communications Suite Installation Guide.
- Review the Communications Suite 7 Update 1 Component Dependencies table. This table answers the question: To install a particular Communications Suite product, which other components do you need?
For example, suppose you want to install Messaging Server and use a third-party IMAP client. Do you need to install Convergence? Answer: No. Do you need Access Manager? Answer: No. You can install Access Manager for SSO but you also can use the Messaging Server (Trusted Circle) SSO.
Install and configure Messaging Server before you configure Calendar Server and Instant Messaging.
First install the Messaging Server back-end message store(s). Next, install the MTAs, MMP front ends, and Webmail Servers.
We recommend that you first install the Calendar Server back-end component, then the front end.
You can install both a Calendar Server 7 Update 1 front end and back end on the same host, or on different hosts.
As a best practice, before you configure Instant Messaging, install and configure Messaging Server and Calendar Server; the IM configuration uses these services.
We also recommend that you first install the Instant Messaging Server, then the Instant Messaging Multiplexor.