Indexing and Search Service for Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite Supported Attachments
Indexing and Search Service supports many types of attachments, including the following categories:
- doc (MS Word), html, jpeg, odf (any Open Office file)
- other (uncategorized), pdf, plain (plain text)
- ppt (MS Powerpoint), rtf, vcf, vsd (MS Visio)
- xls (MS Excel), xml
- iwork (Apple iWork, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote); ISS also extracts attachments that come through with AppleSingle or AppleDouble encoding
- audio, compress, image, video
- ISS bases its categorization decision upon a combined analysis of the advertised MIME type, the attachment name's extension, and the actual software bits.
- ISS places unrecognized types into the "other" group.
- doc, ppt, vsd, and xls are shorthand that includes the XML Office 2007 type files. That is, ISS categorizes docx files as doc.
ISS provides three levels of "support" for an attachment type. At the first level of support, ISS categorizes the attachment by file type and makes it searchable by type or by its advertised file name. The audio, compress, image, and video types are at this level (these files are not unpacked or attempted to have text extracted from them other than their name).
At the second level of support, ISS does extract the text from the file and indexes it. Types at this level includes doc, html, plain, ppt, rtf, vcf, vsd, xls, and xml.
At the third level of support, ISS extracts the text from the file and extracts or generates a file-specific thumbnail image. These include jpeg, odf, and pdf, and iwork. By default, ISS turns off thumbnails for these types.
Currently, ISS does not enable you to customize other format types for inclusion in its indexing service. If you do have an attachment that is in one of the supported formats, such as PDF, XML, plain text, and so on, then ISS extracts the text.